Forums » Language Learning

Summer Reading Program Question

• 3 posts
    November 19, 2018 2:39 PM GMT

I was reading the wonderful article on summer reading and face my own challenges with getting one of my nephews to read. Do you recommend comic books as okay for helping kids to get to read? I wouldn't put them on a diet of only comics, but I thought it might be incorporated into a carrot and stick approach? What do people think? 

• November 19, 2018 4:13 PM GMT

As a homeschooling parent, I feel as though allowing your child to use comic books as a tool to encourage reading and helping them learn isn't a bad idea. The thing is, I look at it as a way to make reading FUN. If the child loves comic books, I would use that to my advantage whether to just get the child to start reading, maybe help with word pronunciations, word meanings, etc. Then I would start tossing age-appropriate books in the mix. Maybe at that point you can use getting the child a new comic book each time they complete a "more approved book" as encouragement to read more books. 

• 2 posts
    November 19, 2018 4:18 PM GMT

I read the article about Summer Reading too. 

When it comes to making kids develop passion for reading, starting with a comic book isn't a bad idea. However, it becomes a pain point when they read only comic books after developing their reading skills. You can always try out comic books at early stages. i did and it worked for my kids.

• 2 posts
    November 19, 2018 4:20 PM GMT

Children are beautiful creatures with fertile minds, who only find fun activities as interesting at an early age. Starting with a comic book which they find entertaining is not a bad idea. It helps the child learn while having fun with the funny characters in his or her head. When my little Joe was growing up, he had issues reading. I bought him a comic book which I wished would catch his interest and luckily for me, it did. He started reading the comic and today he can stand and read excellently. Mind you though, in selecting a comic book, get one that portrays a personality you'd love your nephew to emulate. I hope this helps.

• 3 posts
    November 19, 2018 4:26 PM GMT

I remember reading comic books during my early age as I was always looking for a funny, adventurous or fantasy story. I would highly recommend Comic Books as they develop the interest of reading in children and makes them smarter. Today, children have a short attention span, therefore, it is best to incorporate varied teaching approaches to facilitate learning.

• 3 posts
    November 19, 2018 4:31 PM GMT

As a parent, I have found that though there should be moderation, the idea is to tune up their phonic sounds and recognition of words. And I found that he was more enthusiastic about reading time if it were comic books or something that interested him. 

However, as Ashley suggested, slowly start throwing more educational books in the mix. Perhaps take them book shopping and help them pick books out, they are naturally inclined to be more into it if its something they've picked.

GOOD LUCK!

• 10 posts
    January 21, 2019 9:24 PM GMT

I believe that encouraging children to read in whatever means possible is a good solution as long as there is a healthy mix. There is no reason why reading the comic book cannot be a treat for him, a reward for reading a slightly harder book. Obviously be aware that the language used in comics are not always the best and slang is used a lot. But summer reading is a really great idea.