Forums » Admissions

Dilemma of Choosing a College Degree

• 2 posts
    November 19, 2018 4:07 PM GMT

The article on choosing a college degree fits my nieces' situation. For a while now, my niece has been unhappy. Reasons being her selection of a college degree. She has a passion for history and happenings of the old; however, she thinks history related degrees are not in demand in the current world. Would you advise I tell her to go for passion or for what's in demand? Your answer will be appreciated.

• 2 posts
    November 19, 2018 4:09 PM GMT

Well, for me, perhaps it's a combination of the two. If she goes for something simply because of the market demand, it's possible she may not be happy at what she does in the end. We have instances of people, in fact, many people not happy with their profession, and so end up living an unfulfilled life.

On the other hand, simply following a passion - wherever it takes you - without any consideration of your role in the society (because you do not exist in isolation), can also lead to doing something that eventually will be not be appreciated, and so you may feel less valued and possibly less fulfilled.

Therefore, as I said, she should try to find a balance to study what she feels she loves, also can be easily sold to the society.

• 3 posts
    November 19, 2018 4:25 PM GMT

I was reading an article on Should students have laptops in school? Our Parents including ourselves graduated when there were no compulsions for every student during college or university to have laptops? Nor did the parents had the resources to afford? After reading the article I ponder does learning improves when every student gets a laptop? What are your viewpoints on the general impacts of these technology-savvy gadgets on students learning?

• 3 posts
    November 19, 2018 4:30 PM GMT

Ideally, I would say let her follow her heart and success will follow because when you do something you'be got an interest in, you automatically do it better. End of the day, the idea is for her to be happy. She doesn't want to spend her life with a degree and eventually a job she hates. When you are not passionate about something, you automatically get mediocre results.

However, in this case, there are a number of career paths she can choose - teaching for example. However, it is for her to researchers career options pertaining to this degree, which I am sure are many.

I would advise her to follow her heart because nothing is worse than having a high-paying job that you hate!

• 3 posts
    November 19, 2018 4:58 PM GMT

I understand the concern and faced it myself. Consider encouraging her to pursue a dual degree or minor in history, replacing her Bachelors with something more "in demand." However, I don't think a history degree is a bad choice. It is incredibly versatile and she'll develop valuable skills for the workplace through most history curriculum. At the end of the day, she'll always want to embrace her passion. It'll be hard to turn her away from it.

• 10 posts
    November 19, 2018 5:13 PM GMT

I think I agree with the above answers. You have no passion and drive if you are learning further about a subject you have no interest in. It is better to have great grades in a subject you love rather than a poor grade in something that everyone else has as it is "useful". Additionally, History is not a subject that isn't required. How do we learn if we do not look at the past? It shows a lot of academic achievement to have good grades in History, therefore, I really do not think she should worry. However, I do hear what Lawan says about having a healthy balance. I hope that she makes a decision that is right for her.