Forums » Teaching Methodology

Does learning improves when every student gets a laptop?

• 3 posts
    November 19, 2018 4:25 PM GMT

I was reading an article on Should students have laptops in school? Our Parents including ourselves graduated when there were no compulsions for every student during college or university to have laptops? Nor did the parents had the resources to afford? After reading the article I ponder does learning improves when every student gets a laptop? What are your viewpoints on the general impacts of these technology-savvy gadgets on students learning?

• 2 posts
    November 19, 2018 4:54 PM GMT

This topic can be tackled from a couple of different angles but I think that it would be unwise to generalize the question so much. Some students absolutely require computer-aided assistance to get learning tasks done because they have developmental issues that require them to have aid. For instance, individuals who are slow readers can hugely benefit from using a laptop in school to improve their reading speed as there is a correlation between reading speed and typing speed. Beyond this, a student who is slow to understand homework materials may benefit by using a computer-aided software program as that program can make it easier for them to understand the homework. 

On the flip side, I don't think that it always improves every students' learning. I think that this is completely dependent on the student and factors like responsibility, and technical knowledge of laptop use (knowing how to use a laptop properly/computer properly) play a big role in the overall impact it has on the student's learning. If a laptop is given to a student to use while in class, then yes, this can aid them. But if a parent has to buy their child a laptop to use, it may end up becoming a crutch which can hinder learning in the long-run. 

I do think though that regular computer use for homework and research does positively impact how technologically savvy a student is with being resourceful. Again though, if they use this resourcefulness as a crutch, they can become dependent on things like Google Search and Quora Answers, which can negatively impact critical thinking skills. All in all, it really comes down to each individual student and the parameters around how that laptop is used specifically for learning. 

• 3 posts
    November 19, 2018 4:57 PM GMT

I can think computer use has a lot of benefits. For instance, access to Google, online academic journals, or tutoring resources can be invaluable. At the same time though I worry about the distractions computers impose. I know many students who spend class on their computers online shopping or browsing social media. Not only does this detract from their studies, but it also distracts students around them and negatively impacts all students. I think if computers are put away during class the outcome is mostly positive long-term. 

• November 19, 2018 5:03 PM GMT

The impact of technology in education can never be underestimated. Thus, having a laptop has a potential to greatly improve a student's learning. However, technology, as it is today, is double-edged. When students are properly guided, technology can greatly enhance knowledge acquisition. However, technology can turn out a mere distraction to students without proper orientation and guidance.

Check relevant articles here: https://www.penprofile.com/blogs/2006/477/the-role-of-information-technology-in-education-a-personal-exper

https://www.penprofile.com/blogs/2006/478/the-role-of-information-technology-in-education-a-personal-exper

• 10 posts
    January 21, 2019 9:19 PM GMT

I think that as most things are done 'online' nowadays, computer skills are bound to improve when using a laptop. That said, I am doubtful if overall learning improves when students are given a laptop. Learning using a laptop in a classroom situation can be distracting. Additionally, as we move more towards technology, simple skills such as handwriting is lost. I really think there is a good medium where students can be both computer literate and also have the ability to look things up using a book and take notes. 

(200 symbols max)

(256 symbols max)