Forums » Language Learning

Should there be focus on writing or reading?

• 3 posts
    November 19, 2018 4:29 PM GMT

My 4-year started pre-school and I have found that their sole focus is on writing, to the point where it's more important to them that he knows how to correctly form an H rather than fixing his phonic sounds.

I personally have always felt that reading is THE most important aspect of a child pre-schooling period and this habit needs to be cultivated at an early age, I could be wrong.

I want to know if I am wrong in solely wanting to focus on his reading and treating writing as an afterthought? I would really like some suggestions and advice on how to tackle this situation.

• 5 posts
    November 19, 2018 5:14 PM GMT

Deciding which is more important, reading or writing isn't as simple as it seems. Of course, logic guides you towards thinking that you should teach your child to read first. However, evidence shows that for a child to write a word, they have to hear it first. They associate the sound with the letter symbol. Literacy is easier to learn when children work the way their language does. In the case of alphabetic language, that is sound to symbol. This results in your preschool being right, focusing on writing will ultimately help your child to read.