Forums » Teaching Methodology

What Do You Think About The "Feed Forward" Feedback Method?

• 2 posts
    November 19, 2018 4:52 PM GMT

Teachers are constantly providing feedback to students and their colleagues, but sometimes this feedback doesn't always go as planned and people end up getting defensive and everything blows up in your face. According to Marshall Goldsmith, there's a better way to give feedback and it's called "feedforward" and the basic premise is to focus feedback on their future development rather than their past mistake.  Do you think that if young professionals, teachers, and students all learned how to provide constructive "feedforward," it would have a huge positive effect on how quickly and intelligently students move forward in their learning development? 

To give a scenario. If a student is working on a book review and the teacher just grades it and gives it a mark, do you think the student would garner as much positive feedback and learning from that grading as they would if the teacher provided input during the actual writing process? 

Do you think that maybe we should combine constructive feedback with this new method of providing "feedforward"? I personally think that feedback that focuses on future development is a lot easier to take and it expands ones possibilities as it looks at what you can do in the moment rather than what you "should have done" in the past. I think we can learn from the past but the way we go about it can be all too limiting. 

What do you think?

• 5 posts
    November 19, 2018 5:15 PM GMT

This is a great point Chantelle. I think that criticism is hard to take not only at a young age but all throughout lives. Feedforward is a great idea but would take a lot more time for teachers to do, but hey they are there to help and educate. Working through a project with a child takes a lot more investment of time than just grading the paper at the end, but at the end of the day can really help a student learn and produce higher quality work.

I guess the balance between the two would be ideal. I firmly believe that if negative feedback is required it needs to a) be constructive and b) be in a sandwich (positive, negative, positive) as this would make it a lot easier to stomach. 

I would love it if teachers everywhere would adopt the feedforward approach. I think this is something that needs to be taught in teacher training and introduced as throughout the educational system as soon a possible. 

(200 symbols max)

(256 symbols max)