Forums » Resources & Tools

Editing Resources

• 2 posts
    November 19, 2018 2:22 PM GMT

I'm interested in being an editor after I graduate college, does anyone know of any resources that would be beneficial in learning more about being an editor or a website to further develop the skills necessary?

• 3 posts
    November 19, 2018 2:40 PM GMT

Lauren, do you have any specific areas you'd like to edit in? For example, would you like to be an editor at a publishing house, a newspaper, or for a large company that produces large amounts of things like press releases, website articles, etc.? The first thing you want to do is talk to some editors and tell them your interest. You might be surprised by the number of people willing to steer you in the right direction. The second thing you want to do is study writing. Take some technical writing classes at college (if feasible) or peruse the Internet for some free instruction. If you can't afford college, get some books on technical writing, grammar, etc. Read high-quality writing to see what makes it high-quality (such as the Wall Street Journal). Finally, start practicing these skills by becoming a writer where someone edits your work. A good editor can teach you much about your writing and other people's writing as to what is strong and what needs improvement.

• 2 posts
    November 19, 2018 4:12 PM GMT

Unfortunately, editing is not a skill I'm familiar with as far as having available research goes. However, I do suggest using the Internet to search the terms 'how to become an editor' could help you find what you need. Of course, if you know the specific type of editor you would like to be I would include those words in your search terms as well to get more precise results for what you are looking for.